Fork Spring Kit - GL500 CBX - KZ550 - XJ550
Replacement Fork Springs -
- Honda GL500 1981-83 CBX1000 1979-80
- Kawasaki GPZ550 1981-83 KZ550A 1980-83
- Yamaha XJ550 Maxim 1981-83 (Sold as a pair).
In some applications a spacer is required. Check the spacer requirement for your bike in the included supplement. If not listed- you must calculate pre-load. What is pre-load? Pre-load is the distance the spring compresses when the fork cap is installed. You may or may not use a spacer to achieve proper pre-load. Proper pre-load is important because it determines the proper ride height which in turn effects handling.
Most bikes need between 3/4" and 1" of pre-load. As a rough rule of thumb- the fork spring- or fork spring and spacer combination should be flush- or above- the top of the fork tube with the forks fully extended. This is true for most motorcycles because their fork caps that screw into the tubes are at the previously mentioned length of 3/4" to 1" long. This threading-in action compresses the fork springs the required 3/4" to 1" for the desired pre-load.
Spacer's can be made using a section of Schedule 40 PVC pipe available at hardware stores or a similar material that approximates the diameter of the fork spring. Warning: If installing a spacer- a flat washer must be installed between the spacer and the fork spring!
Is Universal Part: No
OEM Number(s): N/A
- 1982 Honda GL500 GL500
- 1982 Honda GL500 GL500I Silver Wing Interstate
- 1981 Honda GL500 GL500
- 1981 Honda GL500 GL500I Silver Wing Interstate
- 1979 Honda CBX CBX
- 1980 Honda CBX CBX
- 1980 Kawasaki KZ550 KZ550-A1 STANDARD
- 1981 Kawasaki KZ550 KZ550-A2 STANDARD
- 1982 Kawasaki KZ550 KZ550-A3 STANDARD
- 1983 Kawasaki KZ550 KZ550-A4 STANDARD
- 1982 Yamaha XJ550 XJ550J Maxim
- 1983 Yamaha XJ550 XJ550K Maxim
- 1981 Yamaha XJ550 XJ550H Maxim